Since about 1855 this site has been the location of the Blooming Grove township school. Named for pioneer tobacco grower, Jacob Hiestand, whose farmstead lay across the road, the original frame building was razed in 1915 to make way for this fully modern stucco-covered building. This one-room school is noteworthy as a progressively designed facility, as a community center, and as a reminder of the rural heritage of the township.
The school was designated a historic site on April 19, 1976 by the Madison Landmarks Commission
Toad Hill Children’s House opened September 1st, 2005